Monday, June 1, 2009

Aye Aye, Captain....

Last night, I fell asleep beside a First Lieutenant, but I woke up this morning next to a Captain. He looked the same, for the most part, but there was a little twinkle in his eye that hadn't been there before ;)

The promotion ceremony was this morning and Aaron pinned on Captain along with another girl in the squadron named Molly. I thought it would just be Aaron and me and the commander, etc.. in a little room, but unbeknownst to me, they invited the entire squadron. Scary. I never knew how hard it would be to work a button and slip something on someone's sleeve in front of a bunch of people... after some haggling, I finally was able to get it done. Much to Aaron's relief, I'm sure....

I'm still learning the protocol on lots of different things--like rank and who does what and who to not make stupid jokes around. But I still manage to have SOME sort of clumsy interaction with those in leadership positions at least once everytime I'm on base. I am, after all, me.

For example, when a Lieutenant Colonel (their new Director of Operations) told me that I could step over him to get a better picture, I thought he was telling me that HE would be able to take a picture. So I just gave him my camera and said thanks and proceeded to watch the ceremony. Yes, I saw the little emblem on his shoulder and I knew it meant something, but I couldn't remember exactly what. For all I knew, he was a loadmaster or something (note: officers are not loadmasters.. I learned this recently...). In any case, he stood up and took a few shots for me and handed the camera back. It wasn't until I was holding the camera again that I realized what he said, but it was too late-- he thought that I intended for him to become my personal photographer. Oh well, he took it like a gentleman... And he did, afterall, have a much better angle than myself. He can just consider that another way that he served. Do they give out medals for good picture taking?

I've only been in this for about 8 months and realize everyday how little I still know about all of this military stuff, so I've got a ways to go... Luckily I've got about 16 more years to figure it all out.... But I am very proud of my Aaron and that shiny new rank he gets to wear around. His work ethic and discipline still never cease to amaze, convict and encourage me. And I also just so happen to think that those two attributes are quite handsome on him :)

Aaron and Molly with the Commander... as mere Lieutenants...


Shig got to pin on one side, and I got to do the other... Because Aaron's so tall, it got tricky, so we each had to wait our turn.

I'm not sure what I'm laughing at, but it looks like something must've been hilarious...






The oath...

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I love these pics! Becca, you look bite-sized next to Aaron! And congrats Aaron!

kelsey said...

the SHOOOOOEEEESSSSSS

Betty said...

congrats to Aaron!!