Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Rejection--How Much of it Can One Person Handle?

Reject: –verb (used with object)
1. to refuse to have, take, recognize, etc.: to reject the offer of a better job.
2. to refuse to grant (a request, demand, etc.).
3. to refuse to accept (someone or something); rebuff: The other children rejected him. The publisher rejected the author's latest novel.
4. to discard as useless or unsatisfactory: The mind rejects painful memories.
5. to cast out or eject; vomit.
6. to cast out or off.

None of the above definitions are particularly lovely. My job search here has also not been lovely and has led to me feeling FAR too familiar with the definition of the word "reject." Someone refused to have me. Someone refused to accept me. Someone discarded me and regarded me as "useless." I was vomited! Cast out! Cut off! (See above definitions)..

I am just being melodramatic to be funny...BUT, in the past two days, I have been turned down for two jobs that I really thought I would/could/should get. And I didn't. I'm not used to that. Before now, there had only been one time that I had interviewed for a job that I wasn't subsequently offered. I tend to perform well (better even) under pressure, so interviews typically go quite well for me. I'm also not very shy and feel like I'm a pretty friendly gal, so I tend to get along well with the ones interviewing me. But something has happened to me here... and it's causing me to not get a job. I know it's a tough time to be looking, and thankfully, Aaron and I aren't in dire need of the money- but I would like something to do. SOME sort of structure to my day. A routine. Even though it is nice to be able to wake up and have a "mommy morning" everyday (minus the little ones running around calling me "Mommy" over and over again...ha).

Sigh. Will someone hire me? Anyone? Anyone? Um.... please? :)

2 comments:

kelsey said...

I'm tellin' u girl, work somewhere random! Not a normal job u would have thought about getting b4 u moved to ol' Washington state. Like....at a local boutique so u can buy cool, fun things for cheap, at a nursery (since u have this unexplained green thumb), at a coffee shop, at a music store, as a bouncer..haha, that last one was to see if u were paying attention. But seriously tho, just have fun! I mean, u are a republican in a blue state, what did u expect ; ) On a serious note, did u try to find anything on base? They might have a GS position available? I feel like I've already asked u that b4? If I have, disregard : )

Becca said...

Haha... I like the bouncer idea the best. I haven't looked on base, actually... What's a GS position? I still don't know all of the acronyms... remember??